Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Life, Books, Mystery

So i just finished a great book the other day.

I bought the audio book version of Blink, a new book by the renowned author Malcolm Gladwell. He also wrote the best seller The Tipping Point.

Since beginning to listen to this audio book a little over a week ago, I've told probably 12 people about it. It's a great read, or listen, depending on how you choose to ingest it. Mr. Gladwell discusses the human psyche in such a way as to really challenge conventional wisdom. I found myself scratching my head on a couple of occasions, asking questions like: "Is that the truth?".

I'm neither a scientific or cerebral person, an nor do I ever claim to be, but I was very compelled by some of the evidence produced by the author. Mr. Gladwell continues to beleabor the concept of what he calls 'thin slicing'. Thin slicing is when we make quick decisions based on what our mind is able to comprehend in just a matter of seconds.

I'll give you one of my examples of thin slicing:

Let's say for instance that you're the mother of a sixteen year old girl who's never dated before. She meets a boy, or knows a boy from school who she wants to date. You of course, being the good mother, want to meet the boy before you let you're blossoming beauty out of your sight. Well, you meet the boy and decide that he's a whack job. For whatever reason, you decided after meeting him that he was a weirdo and so you put the kabash on your daughter dating him. Three days later he gets suspended from school for being a peeping Tom.

What you just did as a mother is what Malcolm Gladwell calls thin slicing--you came to a correct conclusion based on what seems to be very little 'hard' evidence. Mr. Gladwell also discusses how we Americans are biased and prejudiced all around. Whether it be in hiring, or for instance what ethnicity first comes to mind when we all think of crime, we engage in this type of thinking all the time--usually unbeknownst to us. I know I'm not doing this book justice, but you've really got to give this book a chance.

On to other books:

I'm trying to finish up The Arabists by Robert D. Kaplan, a contributor for The Atlantic Monthly. It's a great book that discusses the movers and shakers in U.S. foreign policy in the 20th century.

Also on my plate Saturday by Ian McEwan, the author of Atonement. It's not super interesting thus far, but I really haven't been impressed with much in the way of fiction recently anyway.

Oh, I think I may have found a place to live. I'm so ready to be finished with this process. I saw a one bedroom in Alexandria, Virginia tonight. It was great and had plenty of room--the rent includes a reserved parking spot too! Woohoo. We'll see how it turns out. If I get it, then I'll have to throw a decorating party or something. My friend suggests that I invite over a house full of female friends and let them help me decorate. Hmmm...

So, things are going well on the whole. I wrote a press release at work the other day, and I'm staying fairly busy there. It's good.


Moving along to more surreal things...

As far as the ladies go, there's not a Mrs. Cameron Crawford yet. I know, that's news to everyone. There will be one someday though.


Please pardon me for a moment while I talk to Mrs. Crawford:

Honey, if you're out there in the universe somewhere, preferably not Mars, then please know that I'm thinking of you. I can't wait to share these sweet thoughts with you that I've held so dear to my heart for these past 27 years. I know you're thinking of me too, babe. I love you!


No comments: