Tuesday, June 07, 2005

NEWSFLASH: Cameron Crawford found a Language That Eats His Lunch!

Yes that's right.

Finally I approach a language that I find extremely difficult. Turkish is nearly impossible for me.

The last few days, I've been volunteering for the American Turkish Council's annual meeting. I've been hob nobbing with Turks from all different industries. As you know, the Turkish language as founded by Kemal Attaturk,is based on Latin. Turks use a Latin script in their alphabet.

I thought that solace would be found in this fact. To my dismay, it's extremely difficult. As a lover of the country of Turkey and all it has to offer, I'm extremely dissapointed. My interest seems to be dropping.

I've always said that if I move to another country that I would learn their language and customs. As it stands right now, I would like to visit Turkey in the near future, if not move there...

But in the meantime this language is kicking my butt.

For example Ecevit is probably pronounced like eh-Cheh-vit. It gets worse than that, I promise.

Or, for example "Canan". Canan looks to sound like Kay-Nuhn or Kuh-Nahn, but rather its phonetic pronunciation is:

Juh-Naan, emphasis on the Naan.

Make sense to you?

I'd better get going now back to mixing with the wonderful people whose language has truly thrown me for a loop.

I promise I'll keep trying. :)

affectionately yours Turkey,

Cameron

No comments: