Saturday, February 28, 2004

Okay, it's Saturday morning, and I've officially had my first cup of coffee, it was from my restaurant.. www.firefliesdelray.com

Just a quick note of recommendation for my readers.

Have you tried Starbuck's Komodo Dragon blend yet? It's a new promo coffee.

Well, I don't like it, and I'll tell you why. I'm used to blends from that part of the world, i.e. Java, Indonesia (Sumatra blend) and others.

But this Komodo Dragon is like a straight shot of thick, dull, coffee. No bumps in the road, no surprises, not even a circus. Don't take my word for it, try it yourself. If you're in the mood for a new blend (no I don't work at Starbies), try their New Guinea Peaberry blend. Delicious and smooth with lots of of earthy tones.

Next, as a professional movie critic, I'd like to speak about film for a moment. I just saw Lost in Translation. Okay, all together, lets say it: O-VERRAT-ED. Yep, that's it. This movie flopped in my opinion. The only redeeming qualities of the movie was the looks of the young lady in this movie and the kindness of Bill Murray. Bill Murray, himself married, is somewhat falling for an unhappily married girl, whose husband basically ignores her. Both of these characters are like fish out of water. Stuck in Japan. Murray is busy doing commercials for Japanese whiskey, while this woman, sits in the hotel room all the time bored out of her mind. Her husband is out for days at a time doing photo shoots.

So, they come about meeting each other and the rest is bored history. They develop an odd friendship during this time. For the first time in movie making history, their is no misconduct between the two. Purely Platonic. In addition to the nature of their friendship, another thing can be said: this movie is truly genuine. Sofia Coppola, the director, takes a real look at life. No hype, little excitement, plus lots of honesty in decisionmaking. So if you like the realistic approach to movie making, although it's sometimes boring, then might like this film.

If you're into movies that show you "real life" in all its boredom, excitement and surprises, then rent ABOUT SCHMIDT. This is a real-life piece of entertainment, about an old geezer (nicholson), and how life brings you many new twists and turns--and how you choose to react to them.

Well, that's all for now. Oh yeah, I'll begin to keep you posted on my job hunt.

Have a great weekend.

yours truly,

diogenes mendelsohn (a.k.a. "me")

No comments: