A short story by Cameron Crawford
Eager for the future. These words come to mind as I contemplate my surroundings. I've known for a long time that I have something special inside.
Right now I must search deeper than the crusted surrounding of my heart. Within is a pearl, at least I'm told. Something of great price lies dormant and hidden.
So I go to the local craftsman to tell him about this pearl. He looks at me with a smile on his face and upon seeing my predicament, he has pity on me.
He says, "Son this pearl inside you is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. Yet for some reason the treasure chest that holds it is very old and dusty." "It's been worn out by too much worrying. The box has been opened way too many times and the pearl doesn't feel special anymore, " he adds.
"So, what am I to do...Never open the case again?!" "Should I hide the stupid thing!?" I shout to the craftsman.
I begin to walk away befuddled, but the craftsman touches me on the shoulder and stops me.
"This pearl doesn't have to be hidden, and nor does it have to be displayed all day long. But rather, you must trust me with it at all times." "It isn't for sale, and it is priceless indeed!" he states joyfully. "The pearl must remain in my care at all times. Otherwise when you look for it, the pearl will be unrecognizable with your eyes."
"I'll show you exactly when to display it and I'll show you when to hide it" he says with exuberance. "In me, the pearl will find its greatest worth. It isn't for you to worry about, but also not to ever be ignored." "You see, the pearl, if overused, will become old and rusty; but in My care it will gain its original luster and gleam."
"This is just crazy! Give up the pearl?!" I growl. "Yes, give me the pearl" says the kind and mysterious craftsman.
Reluctantly and afraid, I give the old man the pearl. He went to the back of the workshop with a spring in his step.
As I walk out the door I felt something different inside. All the years of wonder, confusion and heartache seemed to vanish in an instant. My face even looked different in the mirror. The once old and uncomfortable shoes now became comfortable.
After giving up the pearl, I decided I should go on a trip. Out the door I went, and I caught the first bus that stopped on the corner.
I went off in the distance with a smile, as the sunset painted itself a dark orange.
From now on, instead of hiding my pearl or even worrying about it, I'm going to give the craftsman a bunch of referrals. I think I'll go help other people discover their treasure chests as well.
Apparently, I'm not the only one out there in the world who has pearl issues.
No comments:
Post a Comment